[twitter-follow username=”roisincure” scheme=”dark” count=”yes”]
THE COURSE IS NOW FULL I am delighted to announce dates for my urban sketching workshop later in 2018.
“No Page Left Behind!” 21st – 25th September 2018
This workshop is about indulging yourself as a sketcher and making a really beautiful page. We’ll be surrounded by beauty and interest in Kent, in the southeast of England, where there are glorious, venerable old buildings and all the objets that are quintessentially English.
As urban sketchers, it is in us to see beauty everywhere we look. All too often, though, we come to the end of a sketch and wish that we’d given more prominence to something, or feel that our sketch is a bit lacklustre. The workshop is all about making the pages in your sketchbook as attractive as possible, resulting in a sketchbook that will make you burst with pride. We will give care and attention to every page, thinking of colour choices, composition and dramatic impact, always thinking of the overall look.
In order to achieve our aims We will:
– Remove some of the overwhelming detail in what we see and learn to simplify and select bits of the scene before us to best effect.
– Have a checklist of things to consider when approaching any new sketch, in terms of visual drama and story.
– Explore ways to bring the sketch out to the edges of the page.
– Learn a few lettering tricks and how to make legible speech bubbles in order to fill white spaces with thoughts or appropriate signage.
– Learn some troubleshooting techniques in order to deal with the sketches or parts of sketches we feel we could have approached differently.
These are suitcases on the platform at Tenterden Train Station. Their silent forms embodied stories of being many miles from home, for many different reasons.
– To become confident and comfortable with choosing composition.
– To choose colour combinations with harmony and balance in mind.
– To ensure that every page is an attractive whole.
– To pick up troubleshooting tips.
Number of participants is strictly limited to 12.
Minimum number of participants is 7 (already passed)
Friday 21st 4pm onwards – check in to Green Farm followed by relaxing meet and greet.
I will then present an introduction to the workshop and my own philosophy of how to record one’s life in sketches, followed by dinner at the farm.
The workshop will take place over the following days, with an hour for lunch:
Saturday 22nd 9.30am – 5.00pm
Sunday 23rd 9.30am – 5.00pm
Monday 24th 9.30am – 5.00pm
Tuesday 25th 9.30am – 1.00pm
Our itinerary has not yet been finalised at this stage, but on the agenda are quirky aspects of English history, from the past through to the present.
– Historical houses;
– Museums which illustrate the colourful past of the area;
– Atmospheric harbours and twisting streets of some of the pretty towns near our base;
– Whatever interesting tidbits that would entice an adventurous urban sketcher!
We have some super places lined up for our itinerary and all travel between locations is included, via minibus.
Some of the beautiful old brickwork at Sissinghurst. The combined beauty of expert, tasteful planting and elegant brickwork was almost overwhelming.
Registration – £250, includes minibus travel within the workshop but does not include meals, drinks or accommodation.
Additional costs – There may be other costs depending on the final itinerary such as entrance fees, train travel and tips or donations to museums but I will of course keep these to a minimum.
Option 1: Single occupancy with en suite – £410 pp (4 nights) – 3 bedrooms available (2 in the Barn and 1 in the Cowshed)
Option 2: Single occupancy with shared Jack & Jill bathroom (2 bedrooms in the Barn share a bathroom with 2 doors) – £370 pp (4 nights)
Option 3: Double occupancy with en suite – £205 pp (4 nights)
Option 4: Double occupancy with Jack & Jill bathroom (two bedrooms share a bathroom with 2 doors) £185 pp (4 nights)
(NOTE: there are a few rooms left, please get in touch at roisincurepictures(at)gmail(dot)com for details.)
This is the coat of a soldier in Tenterden Museum, with his photo next to it. I was prepared for a sad story of a life cut down in its prime but it turned out that Albert lived to be 97, spending his life making music and ice skating…
In addition to the cost above we will add an extra £102.50 pp for three dinners taken together at Green Farm Barn (excl one off-premise at the King’s Head), four breakfasts and four “snacks”. All drinks are at participants’ own expense.
If you are interested in booking a place on our course, please complete the contact form below. Fees will be chargeable in full. All registration fees will be refunded if cancellation is made before April 31st, minus bank charges. After that there will be a £50 deposit retained. No fees will be refunded within two weeks of commencement of the course, and while accommodation costs are non-refundable after June 30th 2018, we will do our best to re-sell any cancellations and refund accordingly.
Booking will be open to the general public from Thursday 22nd Feb 2018.
Please fill in the contact form below
[contact-form-7 id=”6457″ title=”Kent Workshop Registration Form”]
Deposit to secure your place (non-refundable)
Looking forward to hearing from you!
All the best
Terms and Conditions
(1) Places in the workshop are strictly limited to 12. This does not include companions, whom we will do our best to accommodate.
(2) This workshop is based on a minimum of 7 people attending.
(3) The workshop will be conducted in English.
(4) The workshop will take place between 5pm on Friday 21st September and 2.00pm on Tuesday 25th September 2018.
(5) It is the responsibility for the attendees and their companions to make their own way to the King’s Head pub at 5pm on Friday 21st September and to the various starting points each morning in good time and to arrange their own departure from Kent after the workshop ends.
(6) Please arrange your own insurance. You should arrange to insure against problems in all aspects of your travel, including flight cancellation, health problems, baggage loss or damage, or cancellation of the group tour booking.
(7) If you stay in Green Farm Spa, we will provide materials for breakfast. Lunch is at participants’ own expense, although there will be a good choice of reasonably-priced lunches near our sketching localities.
(8) Dinner will be provided at Green Farm Spa. These will be group meals, catered by a local company. The total for breakfast (X 4) and dinner (X 3) is £102.50 pp.
(9) The cost of alcoholic drinks will not be included in the dinner. Participants may bring their own wine or other alcohol of choice to dinner.
(10) If you are staying in the arranged accommodation, then you will have a warm bed, clean dry room and linen, hot water, soap and towels.
(11) If you are not staying in the arranged accommodation, then we will not be held responsible for any deficiencies in that accommodation.
(12) If you are not staying in the arranged accommodation, then participants and their companions must make their own way to the workshop events each morning in good time. We will not be responsible for the costs of this element of travel. We will not be responsible for delays in arriving each morning at the workshop.
(13) The itinerary may be adjusted to accommodate unexpected closing of the attractions that are listed in the workshop. Alternative venues will then be arranged.
(14) The weather may dictate that we have to work indoors. If this is the case, then suitable adjustments to the programme will be made, so that the workshop can continue.
(15) We will arrange a minibus to take participants to the various sketching locations. We do not commit to make pickups and drop offs elsewhere on those days, although we will attempt to accommodate the wishes of the participants and their companions.
(16) We do not provide any art materials to the participants as standard. Please bring these with you. We have listed the items we think you should bring. If you wish us to source some art materials for you, then we can do this, at your own expense. Please contact us if you want us to get anything for you.
(17) We will not be held responsible for theft or damage caused by others, whether in Green Farm Spa or other hotel, or during the workshop. Please ensure you are covered by insurance for these eventualities.
(18) We cannot be held responsible for events beyond our control, such as floods, power cuts, storm damage, water shortages, drinking water contamination, leaks etc. We will try to help if we can to resolve any issues that arise.
(19) The workshop fee does not include passport or visa fees, taxes, airfares, travel to and from Kent from your home, additional tips for good service. The workshop fee does not include additional items in the arranged accommodation such as room service, telephone or data charges, minibar, paid-for television or movies, laundry etc. The workshop fee does not include optional or trip cancellation insurance (this is recommended). To be clear, the workshop fee does not include anything extra to that which has been specifically listed as being included in the workshop.
(20) Róisín Curé Art reserves the right to change the accommodation in the case of force majeure. The customer shall inform Róisín Curé Art in writing whether he or she chooses to withdraw or to benefit from the alternate package within and not after 2 days from receipt of the alternate proposal. Should the customer fail to accept any variations, Róisín Curé Art shall return only the sums of money received within 7 working days from receipt of the communication from the customer.
(21) For the arranged accommodation in Green Farm Spa, single private rooms are based upon availability. Double occupancy may be available upon request. No un-enrolled person or persons may occupy or otherwise share a room or accommodations with enrolled guests/participants. Special permission may be granted with advance notice. If special permission is granted for an un-enrolled person or persons to share or occupy a guest room, the un-enrolled person or persons will be responsible for one-half the regular room rate.
(22) Damage and Charges. Attendees and their companions are required to act in a responsible manner at all times. If you are staying in Green Farm Spa, then you must leave the rooms in the same general condition that you found them in upon arrival. Róisín Curé Art reserves the right to recover from clients the cost of any loss or damage caused by a failure to respect the property, fixtures, or fittings.
(23) We cannot be held responsible for force majeure including (but are not limited to) strikes, breakdowns, illness, accidents, volcanic dust clouds, storms, war, terrorist acts, riots, floods, etc.